Recycling and composting have many benefits, both environmentally and economically. Though recycling can generate ten times the number of jobs than disposal of that waste in a landfill, ill-informed critics still claim that it is a waste of time and resources. For an excellent summary of the benefits of recycling, take a look the article from the Pennsylvania Sierra Club. Here are some other great resources to help you dispel those myths.
The Next Big Step
As Blair County embarks on its ten year update on its Solid Waste Management Plan, we are aiming higher, hoping to improve our recycling program. Check out our list of goals to build a more outstanding recycling, composting and waste reduction effort.
Dispelling the Myths
- "Recycling Works" (Professional Recyclers of Pennsylvania)
- "Too Good to Throw Away" (Natural Resources Defense Council)
- "Anti-Recycling Myths" (Environmental Defense)
- "Defending Recycling and Eliminating Disposal" (Institute for Local Self Reliance)
The Benefits of Recycling
- "The Benefits of Recycling in Pennsylvania" (Department of Environmental Protection)
- "The Environmental Benefits Calculator" (Australian EPA)
- "Recycling Economic Impact Study" (Northeast Recycling Council)
- "Keeping Bottles Out of the Ocean: The Dangers of Plastic Pollution to Marine Life" (The Bottle Store)