1. Recycle and use recyclable, recycled or reused packaging.
- Recycle all paper, cardboard, bottles and cans.
- Retailers should offer incentives for use of reusable bags or reuse of old bags.
- Mail orders can be packaged in old boxes and used styrofoam peanuts or newspapers.
- Manufacturers should use recyclable corrugated cardboard and recycled paperboard while minimizing wasteful packaging and unnecessary plastic wraps.
2. Close the recycling loop by buying, selling and manufacturing recycled goods when possible.
- Retailers should offer recycled products and goods in recyclable and recycled packages when possible.
- Manufacturers should explore recycled materials to replace raw materials or virgin fibers.
- Businesses with large amounts of one kind of waste should consider waste exchanges with other firms that can utilize those wastes.
- Buy locally when possible. It's environmentally preferable and supports your community as well.
3. Make your office and lunchroom environmentally friendly.
- Recycle and conserve office paper. Use two sides of paper when practical and buy recycled paper.
- Provide recycling containers in lunchrooms, lounges and high-traffic public areas.
- Encourage the use of reusable mugs instead of styrofoam.
4. Use environmentally friendly cleaners and degreasers.
- Try to eliminate the use of cleaners with harsh petroleum-based solvents. Many of these are extremely toxic. Many non-toxic alternatives are available.
- Do not overuse chlorine-based cleaners or phosphate detergents that can contribute to water pollution problems.
5. Eliminate or reduce the use of other toxic materials.
- Use toxic chemical pesticides and rodent controls only under extreme circumstances. Consider less toxic alternatives.
- Pay extra attention to cleanliness and pest problems will be greatly reduced without the need to use pesticides.
- Proper containment of solid waste will reduce rodent problems.
- Consider sand as an alternative to salt for icy steps and sidewalks.
- Consider nontoxic weed controls in lieu of hazardous petroleum-based herbicide and weed killers. (Weeds can be pulled out of the ground easily right after a rainfall.)
6. Take pride in being an environmentally conscious business and proclaim it proudly in correspondence, advertisements and signs!