Blair County county adopted the update to their Solid Waste Management Plan several years ago (which happens every ten years), with the hope we can generate the enthusiasm to recycle more throughout the county. Recommendations of the plan included the following elements.
- More extensive curbside recycling collection, adding curbside recycling to all suburban communities
- More efficient collection, both at the curbside and at drop-off depots in less populated places
- Lower collection/processing costs, which might include the move to a single recycling collector
- The addition of food waste composting where it makes sense
- Mandatory waste collection for all households, which should help...
- ...Reduce illegal dumping and open burning of trash
- Convenient, affordable options, especially for special material recycling programs
- Fluorescent Tubes/Bulbs
- Bulky Waste/Furniture
- Medications/Prescription Drugs
- Other Household Hazardous Waste
Be sure to let your elected officials know if you find these goals worthwhile in improving the quality of life in Blair County. Below are some related links that might help you better understand some of these issues and how they might benefit the community.